Sunday, March 24, 2013

YIF: Chapter 11 Review

What is the whole point?

Chapter 11 of Your Inner Fish by Neil Shubin is the last chapter of the book. In this chapter, the author basically summarizes the whole book with that everything has parents. From us humans now to the small chemical bonds millions of years ago, though it may not be the same concept of a "parent", they all still had them. Nothing on this Earth just randomly appeared out of nowhere, everything evolved to what it is and will be. I thought in all it was a good way to end the book.

The most interesting part of this chapter I thought was the part where he explained hiccups and how they are actually part of our ancestry with fish. Even throughout this whole book, and years of learning about evolution in schools, its still hard for me to wrap my head around how something like a small fish in my aquarium slowly mutated and evolved so much overtime to basically become me. The information about hiccups just brings it all together, kind of pushing us back to reality from this space of genes and DNA and scientific names. This chapter connected most to Big Idea #1 definitely because it completely talks about evolution, summarizing the whole book. In all I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment